Re: [Amps] Alpha PA77 vs 77Dx plate choke?

To: <audioguy@q.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha PA77 vs 77Dx plate choke?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:03:09 -0400
The 77's were shipped with a B&W 800 choke and 160 wasnt considered
important before the US was authorized 1500W. The next step was the 801
which was better on 160 but fried on 12M when we got the WARC's. Next came
the 802 which solved the WARC's but was light on 160.

OTOH, having a part of the plate choke become an active part of the 160M
tank is rather common in several ham amps. How well it works depends upon
the designers and many opt for the Ameritron choke where it fits.
Palstar (no longer in production but some stock is available last I heard)
and QRO chokes fit the 77.

The 802 is still available at an outlandish price.

Carl
KM1H