Re: [Amps] Alpha PA77 vs 77Dx plate choke?

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha PA77 vs 77Dx plate choke?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:16:37 -0400
Another option is to contact Dick Byrd, N4UQ.  At one time, he was running
an exchange program where the user sent in a B&W 801 or 802.  He then sent
out a pre-wound 802 with a heavier gauge winding.  Not sure he still does
this but I exchanged the chokes in my PA-70V and 77Dx this way.

Probably a better method is to swag and lump the taper as Ameritron does
with their plate chokes -- or in the alternative, use a relay to short turns
(e.g., Alpha 89/87A) although getting it right might be tricky for those
without a grid-dip meter.  Any value change really requires verfication of
resonances.

Paul, W9AC