Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question

To: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:35:29 -0400
Id think that a pair of 8877's run at 3CX800A7 voltages would be an ideal
choice for a reliable amp and a Pi-L included.

OTOH, there are very few plain vanilla 800's available at modest cost and
the cheaper 3CPX versions are being pushed at more HV in many HB or
conversions such as the LK-800 series.

Right angle mounting allows a savings in horizontal space and shorter leads
to the BS but at 1500W and shorting switches I cant confirm if there is any
benefit. In days of old, etc, it may have been due to the lack of shorting
switch availability and a lot of mil surplus was used??

An amp such as the NCL-2000 used a one coil 80-10M Pi (2500V/800ma) with
identical efficiency on all bands and Ive rebuilt one of mine decades ago to
include 160 using a toroid and some WARC with just coil taps. The switch was
a non shorting Centralab JV-9000 type from a hamfest. At 1200W it never
burped.

Carl
KM1H