Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B's -- worth using?

To: <dhallam@knology.net>, "Vic K2VCO" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B's -- worth using?
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:26:01 -0700
Vic, the 4CX1500B can produce >> legal limit output power if you drive
it harder than the test conditions shown where Ig is only 0.53 mA.  The
tube can handle a few mA of Ig and produce substantially more output, at
the sacrifice of the wonderful -43 dB IM3 and -48 dB IM5 numbers shown.

Bob WB2EGI and I modified (really, just built a suitable power supply
for) a Canadian AF HF amplifier using a pair of 4CX1500Bs and it
produced 3kW output without exceeding the grid dissipation rating of 2W
total.  Cranked back to only 1500W output, the Ig was "zero" indicated.

-WB2WIK