[Amps] AL-1200 plate choke go bang

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-1200 plate choke go bang
From: iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 19:39:18 -0700
In a fit of haste/stupidity/DX-angst/all-of-the-above, I popped the
plate choke in my AL-1200. It made a nice *crack* when the stray wire
hit the casing of the blower ;)

I see that Ameritron have the replacement choke listed at $20, and RF
Parts have one for $24.95. Is the RF parts one any better?

Hopefully the surge didn't take anything else out. Obvious things to check?

Has anyone come up with a mod design for protecting the choke? I
thought of adding a fuse, but then read an opinion that doing this can
subject the tube to damage from excessive grid dissipation if the fuse
goes.....

Tnx/73,

    ~iain / N6ML