Re: [Amps] AL-1200 plate choke go bang

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 plate choke go bang
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:25:26 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 19:39:18 -0700, you wrote:

>In a fit of haste/stupidity/DX-angst/all-of-the-above, I popped the
>plate choke in my AL-1200. It made a nice *crack* when the stray wire
>hit the casing of the blower ;)
>
>I see that Ameritron have the replacement choke listed at $20, and RF
>Parts have one for $24.95. Is the RF parts one any better?

REPLY:
Any idea what blew the choke? An arc? Broken wire? Something else?

I  have  used the RF Parts chokes in several homebrew 1500 watt amps
with no problems. It really does have no resonances in any ham band
from 160-10 including WARC.

One thing I would advise: Don't mount the choke where capacitance
coupling to the tube anode might be a problem. Either place a shield
between tube and choke (preferred), mount it far away (not
recommended) or orient it 90 degrees to the tube. Placing it where
there is significant capacity coupling between anode and choke creates
a secondary circuit with some potentially bizarre characteristics.

73, Bill W6WRT