Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A owner

To: <wa3gin@comcast.net>, <wworldwidedx@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A owner
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:16:45 +0000
I own an 87a that is of the 1990 vintage but has been back to the factory
twice, as late as 2004, and had the upgrades when they did not cost that
much... not cheap, but not in that range.  At one time, I owned two of these
delicate babies at the same time and had the same problems with both.

Problem most important is the PIN diode system, or the dreaded Fault 9.  I have
had replaced all my PIN diodes twice, the latter time including a little part
which is supposed to protect them.  Today, I have frequent Fault 9
nevertheless.

Next problem is the corrosion of all the little plugs/sockets everywhere inside
the case.  Dont ask me how tightly fitted similar metal to metal connections
can corrode enough to give problems, but IT DOES.  One 87a owner told me he
services all these plugs twice a year, and believe me, wrestling this heavy
thing around and getting to all the plugs is not a fun afternoon and evening.

Finally, with AlphaMax installed, the amp senses everything like the tip of
your, er, finger and Faults off for the slightest deviation in SWR or it seems
a thousand other things that slightly change inside, maybe even line voltage
dips.

Oh, yes, avoid running more than 100 watts thru them;  rumor has it that 200
watts--even when turned off--breaks (or bends) something inside.  Dont ask me;
I am an appliance op.

If shipping would not kill me, I would already have dumped mine onto Alpha and
be running a 9500 right now.

What I do not understand is how Alpha can please the customers of their traded
in 87a that are coming in and being sold, too. Maybe the factory has a magic
overhaul, but that has to be costly.  Alpha is smart to get as many 87a out of
the field as possible because, as they have aged, their complaint level must
have skyrocketed and word of mouth on Alpha thus suffers, too.

I have always been treated fairly by Alpha old or new owners.  They do not make
Yugos and thus their costs are very high for their Porsche amps.  My advice,
gained from expensive and bitter experience, is dump your 87a to the factory
trade in offer or sell yours to someone you dont like... or to a very good
technically minded person.

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com