Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A

To: "Kurtis Burton" <wworldwidedx@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 20:02:03 -0400
Sounds about right.  The older units need significant modifications to bring
them up to current.  I can't remember for sure but diode switching circuit
and parts that are no longer available make it pretty expensive to upgrade
the old units. Its not a scam...there is no reason to scam you... ALPHA's
87A trade-in program has been a massive success, so much so that they
apparently extended the offer and are selling many many new amps.  I don't
think they are trying to rip you off... I've had a few Alphas and these are
great amps but like anything high end technology, car, plane, boat... they
are expensive to own!  If I were you I'd trade up... even if the 87A is new
old stock..focus on the 'old' aspect.  If something does fry... you'll end
up with a big bill. If it was me I'd spend a few bucks more and get a brand
new amp.

Good Luck

73,
Dave