Re: [Amps] Neon xfmr for HiPot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Neon xfmr for HiPot
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:17:13 -0600
I have a couple of fuel oil ignition transformers I use for this exact
purpose.  They are rated at 23mA and they actually work very well as
current limited sources.  They will produce 10kV @ 23mA or 100V @ 23mA.
For current limiting I use a Caddock MX-450 5meg ohm 5W resistor.

See
http://www.caddock.com/Online_catalog/high_resistance/high_resistance.html

For test voltages < 7kV a single resistor works fine and I use 2 in
series above 7kV.  Two resistors are needed for power dissipation and
not voltage breakdown.

73,
Larry, W0QE