[Amps] Overdrive protection

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Overdrive protection
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:36:00 -0700
Alpha's email newsletter talks about damage to amplifiers as a result of
overdrive -- the
example is given of amplifiers designed to produce 1500w output with 40w drive
being
driven with 150w. They say that there is a log maintained by the firmware which
records
overdrive incidents and that they won't repair damage caused by this kind of
abuse under
warranty.

I am sympathetic to their attitude and don't approve of the philosophy that all
knobs
should always be set to 11. But sometimes it's unintentional.

My question -- and maybe there's an Alpha employee on the list who wants to
answer -- is
"isn't it possible to make an overdrive protection circuit that will cause the
amplifier
to fault fast enough to protect the tubes and components?"

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA