[Amps] Now 756Pro Series overshoot

To: <audioguy@q.com>, "Richard Solomon" <dickw1ksz@gmail.com>
Subject: [Amps] Now 756Pro Series overshoot
From: "Edward Gable" <EGABLE@Rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:04:49 -0400
I run an ICOM 756Pro2 driving an ICOM PW-1, with a Yaesu YO-301 Monitor
scope looking at the drive coax between the exciter and PA.  I set to the
system, per the manual, for a conservative 800 watts out, with the 756p2 RF
OUTPUT control FCW.  I run mostly CW.  On all bands the envelope displays an
average of ~25% leading edge overshoot. **  The driving power is ~25 watts.
I reduce the RF OUTPUT control CCW until the envelope is a nice clean text
book CW keyed waveform.  Then, the output is still 800 watts and the drive
is still ~25 watts and the world is good !  ** My definition of overshoot:
the leading edge positive going spike is 25% higher than the steady state
power level after the bad has happened.  Other:  auto tuner off, input VSWR
1:1, CW  is dots at 30 WPM... just trying to anticipate questions.  Just
observations and a work around.  Never tried to analyze what's happening.
73,  Ed  K2MP.