Re: [Amps] 8877 cathode-filament question

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 cathode-filament question
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:42:11 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:15:09 -0700, you wrote:

>My problem with these is simply that with the filament floating I can't
>see what keeps the filament-cathode potential from exceeding a
>safe value, whatever that might be.

REPLY:
You are right to be concerned. Strictly speaking, the heater transformer does
not need a ground,nor does it need a heater choke.

However....  doing it that way leaves the possibility of an arc between cathode
and heater. This could easily damage the heater, the cathode or both. It also
adds a small amount of parasitic capacitance between cathode and heater which
will cause a small amount of RF current to flow between the two. Whether this is
a problem or not all depends. Can't give a definite answer on that.

The safest approach is to use a bifilar heater choke and connect one side of the
heater to the cathode.

73, Bill W6WRT