Re: [Amps] 8877 cathode-filament question

Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 cathode-filament question
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 22:42:51 -0700
Thanks for all the replies again, on and off the list.

Paul,

In the case you describe, if there was a flashover arc to the cathode
and the filament wasn't
at the same DC potential, I think a secondary arc from cathode to
filament would probably
happen anyway, given the low breakdown voltage between the two. That's
partly speculation on my
part, and partly based on experiments with my BVT.

What I find interesting (truly, not only being sarcastic) is that such a
basic issue wouldn't be covered
in the manufacturer's data. Perhaps that's because it is indeed so
basic? Don't know. After 40 years or
more of manufacturing 8877's, I'm just surprised it's even a question at
this point. :-)

  My reason for the pondering was the potential Alpha 76A conversion
I've discussed here, as well as
a possible dual 8877 conversion of a Henry 3KA, which has a somewhat
outrageously overbuilt PS
considering it only runs a pair of 3-500Z's. (4KV @ roughly 1A! )  I got
to staring at schematics
again, which irritates my wife and doesn't always end up with desirable
results... ;-)

Thanks and 73,
Jim N7CXI