Re: [Amps] High Voltage Rectifiers on ebay

To: "Charles Bibb" <zedkay@telepak.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Voltage Rectifiers on ebay
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:35:11 -0700
I haven't used them; but sometimes too high a PIV rating just wastes power and
creates heat.

If you don't actually need 20 kV, it can be better to stick with something
closer to the real application, since all that extra "PIV" rating is created by
more junctions in series, which will have 0.7 to 0.9V drop per junction during
conduction; using four in a FWB at 1Arms, you could be dissipating 30W or more
in the bridge due to all the forward drops.

I always think a better choice is true avalanche rectifiers capable of
substantial transient energy, and rated closer to the application; this can
reduce dissipation and heating while still maintaining plenty of "headroom" for
transients.

WB2WIK