[Amps] MFJ products

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MFJ products
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:30:37 -0700
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:47:59 +0100
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ products

On 11 September 2012 00:30, Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Dave,

> You Criticize and admit you have never purchased their equipment, so why
> don't you just keep quiet instead of using bad language on the group with
> absolutely no personal experience.
>
> K6BR

Mike, I have seen inside some of the MFJ products. Build quality is very poor.

Dave

##  agreed.   You don’t have to spend $5000.00  over the last 20 years on
mfj-ameritron
gear  to evaluate it either.  I just wait for the phone to ring..with the
usual...  “ can you please
take a look at this AL-600 amp I bought, that just blew up” .  Then I find that
the finals are all sitting
.062”  above the heatsinks, and are not being heat sinked at all !   I’m sick
of fixing this crap, I
wont do it anymore.

##  MFJ-Ameritron needs to do 2 things. A, Beef up the designs of some or most
of their gear, and
B, improve the QC.    IMO, it would not cost em much more $$  to beef up some
of the design flaws,
and marginally rated components.  Sure, their amp prices might go up $100.00
but you wouldn’t
be fixing em all the time.   Wire is cheap, tubing is cheap,  diodes are cheap,
so why mess  with
under rated, or marginally rated  components.  You don’t have to  go off the
deep end with extreme
heavy duty rated stuff.... just something that is designed for the job.

Jim   VE7RF