Re: [Amps] Pulser

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pulser
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:39:32 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:44:03 -0700, Jim wrote:

>##    The problem is, for those 1st few secs, the typ (esp new)  ham has it
>off resonance.
>IF the amps were built right, with calibrated tune and load controls, then we
>could all just
>dial it up by the numbers.  Old amps like heath  etc, don?t even have vernier
>drives on their
>tune caps.

REPLY:
Even with an amp with calibrated dials, one should do the initial tune up at
about 1/4 to 1/2 power first. When you have that in resonance, increase the
power and retune accordingly (usually just the load cap with a small tweak on
the tune cap). The whole process shouldn't take more than 3-5 seconds.

If your amp does not have calibrated dials, put a little sticker or mark the
band location with a sharpie. Surely even the most primitive amp has knobs with
a pointer of some kind?

To each his own, but I just don't see the point of a pulser. Tune it up at full
power and be done with it.

73, Bill W6WRT