Re: [Amps] Novel Screen Grid Regulator

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Novel Screen Grid Regulator
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:52:18 -0400
Jim,

Very interesting circuit since the MOSFETs function like a high-power, active voltage divider. I did note that the non-inverting input to U1a may be susceptible to the effects of both the normal screen voltage and perhaps a flash from the screen. However, provided that Z1 acts quickly enough and R10 remains intact, then concern is probably minimized. Still, it may make sense to Zener-clamp the non-inverting op-amp input to a level just above the value found in normal operation. Then, if adding Zener-clamping, I think it would be a good practice to add series R at the non-inverting input of 1K. The input Z to the non-inverting input of the LM358 is quite high, allowing for some additional series R protection.

Paul, W9AC