[Amps] Alpha 78 in Digital Modes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 78 in Digital Modes
From: Allen Brier N5XZ <n5xz@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 13:27:28 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
I have an Alpha 78 and just started using it for digital modes (RTTY & PSK-31).
I also have a supplemental fan, sold by Alpha, mounted on the back of the '78
providing additional air flow. The cabinet is sealed as best as I can to
maximize that airflow. Now I have a couple of questions:
1. What is the maximum power output the '78 should run in these modes
(essentially 100% duty cycle)?
2. What is the maximum air temperature I should allow coming out of the top of
the cabinet, above the tubes? (I intend to put a small temperature probe above
one of the tubes to turn the supplemental fan on and off as required as it is
louder than I would like. That way I don't have to listen to it when the amp is
idling and when I make a quick QSO, but will come on with a resonable
temperature rise. The side benefit is that I can see when the tubes are running
too hot, also.)

Allen Brier N5XZ / KL5DX