Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 in Digital Modes

To: <jerry@tr2.com>, "'Allen Brier N5XZ'" <n5xz@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 in Digital Modes
From: "Paul" <w8aef@q.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:14:33 -0700
Part of the reason for running low power with PSK is that when you are in
receive, you are listening to 2KHz of the band and a strong signal will wipe
out the whole 2KHz.

Another reason for reducing the power output is PSK requires linear (class
A) operation because the signal is phase shifting and most transmitters run
class AB at full output, which is 'almost' linear.

Most 'linear' amplifiers are not true linear - they run class AB or in some
cases (cw and fm) class C.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG/VU3PYM  TX5C  A52PP