[Amps] Roller inductor on Henry 3K-Classic not tracking properly

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Roller inductor on Henry 3K-Classic not tracking properly
From: "Kimo Chun" <kimo@lava.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:22:57 -1000
I need to repair a roller inductor, roller on the Henry 3K-Classic. Due to
prolonged single band operation it got gummed up (virtually stuck) on the
slide rail.  When tuned further it went off-track, off the coil. I repaired
that problem but there is too much play between the roller and coil so
arcing is happening while tuning.  The uni-directional half-leaf spring
design at each end that holds the rail and roller against the coil from the
inside presents different tracking dynamics depending on which direction you
are turning the knob.  It appears not to be a balanced mechanical reaction
due to the half leaves. I suppose if the tension is high enough that may not
matter. It appears that the leaves (one-half leaf at each end of the slide
rail) are getting weak. There may be some sign of heating, perhaps weakening
the spring temper of the leaves.

My initial idea is to replace the spring leaves with newer, stiffer ones to
keep the roller closer to the coil. The other is to try to back up the slide
bar ends where the leaves attach with conventional coiled springs.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can you advise what worked for
you? I'll have to find some scrap flat spring steel to use, perhaps saw
blades or find an old wind up toy with a flat coiled spring inside.  Any
ideas on what else I can find around that might work?

Thanks.

Kimo KH7U