Re: [Amps] Additional comments, re GU-74B/4CX800A

To: "'Jim Garland'" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Additional comments, re GU-74B/4CX800A
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:36:29 +1030
Hi Jim,

Instead of a 3-holer GU74B amp why not use a single large GU84B tube with
its 2500 Watt rated plate dissipation?

I reckon if you need to use more than one tube to meet a given Po target in
a QRO amp, then you've arguably selected the wrong tube :-)  An exception
might be if one has a glut of smaller tubes available in the junk box.

Yes indeed the use of degenerative RF negative feedback via an un-bypassed
cathode resistor will reduce the need for such a high value of ZSAC and yet
still achieve good IMD performance.  The use of a properly designed and
implemented tri-state EBS will significantly reduce plate dissipation with
SSB speech and the bias transition artefacts will be virtually undetectable.

One will learn a lot by carefully studying the ACOM-2000 amp schematics;
their designers have skilfully balanced all the parameters to optimise
performance very nicely around the GU74B tubes.

Cheers,

Leigh
VK5KLT