Re: [Amps] Additional comments, re GU-74B/4CX800A

To: "'Jim Garland'" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Additional comments, re GU-74B/4CX800A
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:21:32 +1030
Jim, if you operate your GU74B tube at no more than 800W CW or PEP output in
AB1 SSB service then the tube will have a very long service life. DO NOT
push it up to 1000 or 1200 Watts Po like some ham-radio clowns do!

For your proposed 3 holer, that equates to quite a healthy 2400 W output, or
circa 1500 to 1600 Watts for popular two-tube amps like the fine ACOM-2000A.

As I remarked in an earlier post, one of my amps with a single GU74B has
been used as a station workhorse for over 10 years at the 800W and under
level and it's still the original tube. The amp today happily produces 800W+
Po and exhibits no sign of power output degradation; so at that rate the
attainable tube life when used at or slightly above the original
conservative Russian language data sheet spec appears to be indefinite!
Precisely as one would expect from a rugged mil-spec purpose designed SSB
tube!!

There is so much nonsense and misinformation in ham circles about this very
fine tube.  If you want to know how to optimally deploy these tubes, go look
at the ACOM-2000A specifications and carefully study the schematics. Salient
features are cathode NFB, and an efficacious tri-state EBS system to achieve
a small desktop footprint with adequate blower CFM and quite low fan noise.

When it come to the outstanding performance of the GU74B's bigger brother,
the 2500W plate dissipation GU84B, then look no further than those exemplary
amps designed and produced by the Slovakian company OM Power.

Moral of the story is very simple: don't push any tube beyond its sensible
ratings as per the manufacturer's data sheet. Work within those parameters
and excellent results will be achieved, especially in respect of the GU74B.

The only folk disappointed by the GU74B are those who flogged them too hard
and tried to deploy them for purposes never intended. No surprises here.

Yes, best results with EBS stem from using PTT mode. Yes, keep an eye on
maximum plate/cathode current and always keep it within published ratings,
and use sufficient CFM cooling.

Leigh
VK5KLT