Re: [Amps] RF Waveform monitoring

To: "Paul" <w8aef@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RF Waveform monitoring
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:08:12 -0800
> The easiest way to use an oscilloscope as a waveform monitor is to obtain
> and use a Heathkit SB-610 waveform monitor.

*** I have one of these.  Works OK.  It died a few months ago - was the
rectifier and capacitor for the -1700V supply.  My SB610 does not have a
sharp trace - it's sharp in the middle, and widens toward the edges.
Apparently this is because the SB610 does not have an astigmatism control.
This would be a variable voltage applied to one of the grids.

  I have seen some mention of people adding such to the 610 but have
not found a schematic anywhere.  If I did find one, I'd be tempted to do
it - but the flaring trace is not quite annoying enough to go
experimenting.

  The 610 is not well sealed for RF.  It's probably the leakiest thing
in the shack.

                       - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB