Re: [Amps] Most power ever run on amateur radio :-)

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Most power ever run on amateur radio :-)
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 12:12:21 -0500
In relation to Tom's recollection of that 4-1000 amp, I remember the
first time I saw someone using a tube with more than the spec sheet
values on the tubes. In this case it was a friend who had a homebrew
amp with two 3-500Z and a really large pole pig transformer. He also
varied one leg of it with a space station sized variac. He kept
pushing the voltage higher till it was over the 6KV, I don't recall
the final KV, I was looking at the tubes & Bird. The tubes were white
hot and the bird was at 3KW when the output dropped like a stone.
Turned out the solder had melted from the pins on one of the 3-500Zs.

Nothing like the output from the large amps but I was amazed the
anodes didn't melt they were so white hot.

Gary
KA1J