[Amps] Amplifier sale scam

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Amplifier sale scam
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:40:54 -0700
I did a search on Craigs list (nationwide) about a QRO amplifier, as there
seemed to be a deal floating around. It was a QRO HF 2500 going for $1500 or
1600. It turned up in Boston and also in LA, similar advertisement. After
inquiring to the LA one to see if it was for sale (as the ad looked old),
I got a strange reply from john.chesterson@gmail.com.

"Thank you for your email. I am glad that you want to buy my QRO HF 2500
Amplifier. My asking price is US $1,600. From the beginning I want to tell you
that I left US a couple of days ago (the day after I put the product on sale)
and came to UK for my job (I am a member of the "Save the Children
Foundataion"). If you still want to buy it, we can do it in a very safe way
using an escrow company. They will handle the delivery (because I had to take
it with me here) and will give you 10 days of inspection so you can test and
see that it is exactly as described by me in my ad. I will pay all
shipping/escrow fees. Thanks, John."

Something didn't seem right: escrow company, taking 80 lbs of amplifier to UK
for a job, giving me personal details about the employer there, and the prepaid
shipping and escrow fees. I expected the next transaction to ask for me to wire
the money to the escrow company. I replied to Mr. Chesterson by asking for
photos of the amplifier, for his amateur call so I could look him up, and
assure him that I could wait until he returned to US to deal, if he still had
it then. Its been a couple of days now, silence.

So I warn everyone here, to be careful with deals that are too good to believe,
like this one.
73
John
K5PRO