Re: [Amps] Amplifier sale scam

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier sale scam
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:02:18 -0500
This is all too common. I placed an ad in swap.QTH.com looking for a
77SX for sale and got several suspicious replies to my request. Not
trusting people I don't know I checked the IP address that's included
at the bottom of the QTH notification and used this website to do so:
http://aruljohn.com/track.pl Thought the seller said he was in the
UK, he was in California, near Los Angeles. He had a ham call but
checking it out on QRZ, the ham was a SK. I left word of the scam on
the forums.

After finding a SX within driving distance and buying it, I placed
another ad looking to find a Dahl replacement for it like the one I
sold a few years ago and can now use where as then it was excess.
Again I got the same issue except I was getting text messages to my
phone and not phone calls in reply. I got an email from the seller
and I looked at the header data for the originating IP and used the
aruljohn website to see a map of the IP location and this one was
overseas.

Looking at the email address, an odd one from the UK starting with
2e0 something, I checked with QRZ and it looked good call with the
same email. I did a search on eham for the call and found it was one
that was known to be a scammer and that they had hijacked the 2e0
email. QRZ removed the call from its database.

So along with all the other things like getting their call, their
email, check the location of where they are saying they are at and
then you'll be more aware of reality.

Still looking for that Dahl transformer for the SX...

Gary
KA1J