Re: [Amps] 500 uh plate choke

To: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 500 uh plate choke
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:30:04 -0600
you can test your chokes yourself.  Get a modern solid state ham rig
and fix it so it puts out around 20 watts cw.  dump the RF into a 50
ohm resistor and put a T in the line.  Connect the stem of the T to
the choke; the cold end of the choke connect to a 5 or 10 watt
incandescent lamp shunted to the feed shield.  if you have a scope put
it in the line with the lamp using a feedline probe.  Spin the VFO on
the rig across all the bands and see if you see the lamp light or any
RF on the scope trace.

Calling it a pi choke and not a pie is what I get for trusting Google.
 I thought it was pie because of the pies but there were so many
google hits where it is called pi that I thought I was mistaken.

73

Rob
K5UJ