[Amps] NCL-2000

To: amps@contesting.com, km1h@jeremy.mv.com
Subject: [Amps] NCL-2000
From: HOWARDLYON@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 01:04:55 -0500 (EST)
Hi Carl

Finally getting back to the NCL-2000.  I shotgunned the HV supply and  a
new HV relay a couple years ago.  Same deal as the SB-220 PS job; 105*C
radials in series/parallel; new diodes and bleeders.  The Heath has been
purring
for two years now, so should oughta work for the National, too.   Finally
getting back to it now.

I did the Kathode resistors (33-ohm x 3 for each socket).  Think that  was
a Rich Measures mod.

Fired her up with the interlocks defeated.  Adjusted bias for  225mA.
Tuned and loaded for 40m into a Cantenna.  Drove her with my  olde TS-530;
adjusting drive with the Carrier control.

Two things noted..... only about 3-5mA of grid.... and the screen metering
jumps to about 40 or 50, and then slowly rolls back to 15mA.

Do I use the initial jump, or the pacified 15mA for the critical screen
load?  Do I need more C shunt on the screen metering?

Is the <5mA grid OK?  Or, indicative of....?

Thinking of installing a 160 mod over top of the fan motor; around the
phenolic, anti-shorting stick; and over the plate resistor and output  choke.
I have about 2" high x 4" wide x 8.5" long.  Looks like enuf  room for the
toroid over the blower, the vac relays hanging between the blower  and the
stick, and the padders over the choke and the SO-239.  Even enuf  room for a
small relay PS, I think.  Is this worth the trubs?  Gud or  bad idea?

Thanx for the help.

Unca Billy
N3TR

Wm. H. Taylor
General Contracting and Design
2249 Hickory Hill Rd
Oxford, PA 19363
610-932-3762 h
484-643-3220 c
n3tr@arrl.net

Historical  Restoration; Custom Stonework; Fireplaces
Star Bolts; Structural repairs