Re: [Amps] Power Factor correction

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power Factor correction
From: John G3UUT <amps@grebe.plus.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 23:37:26 +0000
I'm mainly interested in this subject because I like operating portable with my Honda Eu2000i (about 2 kVA) generator. This is an excellent generator, I can lift it without giving myself a hernia and being of the invertor type it has excellent regulation and a perfect sinewave. The problem is that I can hardly get 300 W out of my GS35B 6m amp which uses a large toroidal B+ transformer before the generator objects, A GS31B 6m amp with a smaller toroid actually gives more output and my L4B does much better (into a dummy load) on the HF bands . The high peak current due to the rectifiers clearly upsets the generator but it's interesting that the transformer design also has a significant effect. I've now actually come to the conclusion that the best answer to this is going to be a solid state amp with a PF corrected PSU. However you have to be careful as some of the current commercial SS amps still have linear PSUs e.g. Tokyo Hy-Power and Beko.

I'm still don't understand the EU PF specs - Peter thanks for the document which tries to simplify this, I've read it three times and it seems to contradict itself and I'm not much wiser. I'm really glad that I don't have to read these EN specs for a living.

73 John G3UUT