Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices

To: "Larry Benko" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Freescale LDMOS devices
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:46:28 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Benko" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 6:02 PM

There are 2 type of power factor calculations.

For linear loads PF = true power / apparent power = cos(theta) where theta is the angle between the voltage and current entering the device. Think "motor" here for an example. This power factor CAN be corrected by a shunt capacitor across the line.

For non-linear loads (like ALL power supplies linear or switching) the calculation is considerably harder BUT after more math than anyone here is interested in we get PF = cos(theta) * ( 1 / sqrt( 1 + THD^2) ) where theta is the angle between the fundamental (60Hz or 50Hz) voltage and the the fundamental current. The other term accounts for all the harmonics that are generated and THD is the total power in all the harmonics as a fraction of the total power. This case can NOT be fixed by a shunt capacitor. Looking at any capacitor input filter shows the fundamental voltage and current are very close to being exactly in phase unless the power xfmr has a lot of leakage inductance. If I remember correctly even with an inductor input filter where the inductor current never falls to zero you can not totally fix the PF issue especially since most chokes used for this purpose are swinging chokes which are non-linear. In the case of a high frequency switching power supply the harmonic issues can be filtered out restoring good PF but for linear power supplies removing the 120 and 180 etc. Hz harmonics while passing the 60Hz is not easy to do.

** Henry and others did it with a tuned choke and it worked well until the cap started getting leaky and the C changed. BANG!

Carl
KM1H

In this country we pay for real power and not reactive power. The electric meters I have played with (20 years ago) did a very good job of only responding to real power. I loaded some down with large capacitive loads which did not appreciably change the measured power consumption.

Larry, W0QE