[Amps] rms Volts, Amps and Watts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] rms Volts, Amps and Watts
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 22:12:57 +0000
jeff, wa1hco wrote:

Power meters measure RMS current and RMS voltage. But Watts RMS
only equal V rms x I rms when the power factor is 1. For lower
power factors you pay for Vrms x I rms which is greater than
Wrms.

Sorry to be pedantic and boring, but I'm taking my prize hobbyhorse out for a ride...

rms voltage x rms current does not give rms power. It gives mean or average power. rms power can be calculated but has no useful value.

If you look at power as Vrms^2/R - the r in rms stands for (square)root, rms voltage is (square)root of the mean squared voltage. When you calculate the V^2 value, you're squaring a square root - the two cancel and disappear in a puff of algebra. Vrms^2 is Vms, or the mean (average) of V^2. Divide that by R and you have the mean or average power.

OK, rms power is so widely used that most everyone assumes that mean power is what's intended, but it's incorrect terminology. I find it a bit worrying that the ETSI spec for digital mobile radio sets (EN 301166) is awash with references to rms power. I'd always assumed that such specs. were drawn up by committees of people who knew what they were doing. It seems not.

Steve