Re: [Amps] What Old Amp to Buy?

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What Old Amp to Buy?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:06:25 -0400
The DTR-2000L doesnt even meter grid current of the 8877 and there is no tube fault circuitry.
Mods exist.

Early models used a muffin fan to cool which were later changed to a real blower. Stock amps will barely do 1400W due to low B+ and there is no tuned input network. Built during the days of 1000W Input on CW and 2000W PEP Input on SSB.

The octal based time delay relay is becoming expensive and scarce so more mods are needed.

Other than that it works well; Ive had one sitting on a shelf mostly doing nothing for 25 years other than an occassional run as an AM linear and to keep the filter caps formed in case I suddenly need it as a backup. It is completely stock with original 8877 but at 20-25W of drive the grid is safe from mistuning.

Dont laugh too hard but a Clipperton L or Clipperton QRO can be turned into an excellent amp with a little work. Runs 4 572B's and with that work even Chinese tubes run cool and stable. Im finishing one up now that runs 1100-1200W out with 100W drive, 160-10 with a new set of direct from China tubes.
They come with 3 input circuits
1. None
2. So-So tuned input
3. Better tuned input also used in the QRO, none are adjustable so some SS exciters require an external/built-in ATU or an all new input board. Outputs differ a bit but none work as is on 12 or 17M or both. The Ameriton plate choke takes care of that.

An Alpha 76 CA or PA is a fine amp if it comes with excellent tubes which are three 8874's. Drive it light to 1200-1300W and they will last a long time. Not a WARC amp without mods. The 2 tube 76 version is straining to make 1200W which is why I dont suggest the Alpha 78 either or the earlier 274/374 2 tubers.
None have grid protection so always watch the meter.

If money is tight an AL-80B will do about 800W on 160-10. The AL-80A and SB-1000 clone is a bit light on the transformer and a few other areas. The LK-450 is a rugged single 3-500 ampas a are a few lesser known models that quickly came and went.

The B&W PT-2500A is another low production amp that easily does 1500W with a pair of 3-500Z's, early parasitic and low band arcing problems were fixed but serial # before about 35 are suspect as to being upgraded. Under 300 total were built in the US and a small earlier run as the Viewstar 2500A fron Canada. Viewstar made a few other models that were seldom seen in the US.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: <n8de@thepoint.net>