Re: [Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers, remark about capac

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers, remark about capacitors for switching supplies
From: Gene May <gene-may@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:45:38 -0400

Manfred

You provided an enlightening and useful comment; thank you.  I was unaware of
this problem with electrolytics in "switchers", but most of my experience has
been with elctrolytics used to filter 120 Hz ripple.  In the few switching
power supplies I have made, I used low ESR electrolytic caps that the
manufacturers said were designed for use in switchers -- for frequencies up to
several hundred KHz (hereinafter "MF electrolytics").  They have worked fine,
but I've never used them in anything for CCS, and I tend to overdesign power
supplies.

I have some questions about this subject, and would appreciate your advice:

1.  I've read conflicting recommendations about adding a cap that presents a
low impedance to RF, such as a .01 uF disc ceramic, in parallel with the MF
filter electrolytics (in "switchers").  This would be to shunt out the RF
components of power from the switching circuitry.  I've heard  some say "yes"
to this cap, and others say "no" because it can form a resonant circuit at some
RF and overheat or cause instability in the switching circuit, and others say
it is a good idea but only if you use a cap that will handle the probably high
RF currents.  What do you think about this practice -- paralleling the
electrolytics with disc ceramics for the RF?  Would this advice vary depending
on whether the ripple frequency was 120Hz or 20 KHz?

2.  What other sort of requirements and standards, besides low ESR and being
designed for several hundred KHz, should a filter cap for, say, a 20 KHz
switcher meet?  Again, I like to overdesign some for long-term reliability.
Are there any to avoid?

3.  In the switching power supplies I built, I have two banks of filter
capacitors:  one (that I nickname the "reservoir") being the electrolytic caps
fed by rectified AC from bridge rectifier; this supplies DC to the switching
circuitry, and two, the filter caps for the rectified DC from the switching
circuitry.  In the "reservoir" capacitor bank, I use both "LF" electrolytics
(the ones usually used for rectified 60 Hz) and MF caps in parallel.  The idea
is for the LF caps to smooth the 120 Hz ripple, and the higher frequency, low
ESR caps to serve as a low impedance path for the switching supply circuitry.
I've had no problems with this, but do you have any comments?  Might these caps
form some resonant circuit like a .01 uF cap?

TNX ES 73,
Gene May
WB8WKU