Re: [Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers, remark about capac

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] original thread: Peter Dahl transformers, remark about capacitors for switching supplies
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:35:13 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:16:25 -0700, you wrote:

>In a conventional 3.2 kV HV supply that I've built for my new amplifier, I
>bypassed each
>of the electrolytics with an 0.01 uf disc ceramic capacitor. My thought was
>that there
>will undoubtedly be RF leakage back to the power supply, and especially on 160
>meters the
>regular bypassing of the HV line might not be adequate to keep RF out of the
>capacitors.
>RF would be another source of heat that could shorten their life.
>
>It didn't occur to me that it might be possible to 'resonate' the capacitors
>at some RF
>frequency and make the problem worse! I'm interested in the answer to this,
>too.

REPLY:
Just a suggestion:  I think it would be better to focus on keeping RF out of
the power supply in the first place. Check with an oscilloscope to see if
there is a problem to begin with. You might be trying to solve a problem
that doesn't really exist.

Even if the RF is there, the HV line should be easy to filter.

My 2 cents.

73, Bill W6WRT