Re: [Amps] Measuring tank coil inductance

To: "'Vic K2VCO'" <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring tank coil inductance
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:44:27 +0100
K2VCO wrote:
>I am using the GM3SEK spreadsheet to determine the LC values. I have a
>simple application on my iPhone called "E-Formulas" which quickly
solves
>the equation for resonance for l, c, or f.
>
>One interesting thing that I noticed: the spreadsheet says that you can
>determine the tube load impedance by the formula Rl = Ep/(Ip*k) where k
is
>1.5 - 1.7 for class AB.

Ahem... it certainly doesn't say "determine" the load impedance because
you can't do that. The wording I used throughout was "ESTIMATE the load
resistance".

The method using "k" can only possibly give a rough estimate because
tube characteristics are far too complex to be condensed into a single
"magic number".

Here is the full text (with ESTIMATE changed into capitals):

"There are various methods to ESTIMATE the load resistance RL.

"The most accurate method involves a load line which is drawn over the
tube's characteristic curves.  One end of the load line is at supply
voltage E and zero-signal anode current Io. The other end of the load
line is at peak instantaneous anode current Ip and a minimum anode
voltage Vo (typically 5-15% of E).  Calculate the slope of the load line
= (E-Vo)/(Ip-Io) and enter it on line line 35 of the spreadsheet."

For tetrodes I should have added another requirement: that the anode
must at all times remain significantly more positive than the screen, to
avoid high peak screen currents and accompanying nonlinearity.

"Alternatively, the spreadsheet offers two numerical methods of
ESTIMATING RL, using a factor K which depends on the class of operation
of the tube (class A, AB1, AB2, B or C). To use this method, enter E and
the maximum DC anode current Ia on lines 22 and 23, and your estimate of
K on line 24.  Then you can enter either the desired power output W on
line 29 or your estimate of efficiency on line 32.

"Each of the three methods - the method using the load line, or the two
methods using K - will typically give a different value for RL. You must
then CHOOSE YOUR OWN BEST ESTIMATE, and enter it on line 35."

In other words, you have to CHOOSE a suitable load resistance. The
spreadsheet can not determine it for you.

Vic continues:
>Using the load line for the AB1 4CX1000A at 3.2 kV and
>800 mA came out to 1815 ohms, which corresponds to a k of about 2.2.

I'm not sure what you mean by "The load line at 3.2kV and 800mA came out
to 1815 ohms"? There is a lot of missing information about the way that
you chose to construct that particular line, and the specific locations
of each end.

73 from Ian GM3SEK