Re: [Amps] chassis maker?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] chassis maker?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 02:40:20 -0700
On 5/3/2013 8:39 PM, pulsarxp@embarqmail.com wrote:
I think what Dick had in mind was a company similar to the one Charles
Byers owned and ran.  That is, a small metal shop where one could have a
thick chassis built to your dimensions.  Charles offered such a service,
produced the product promptly, charged a modest price and did good
work.  Charles was not put out to do just one special chassis.  (He
didn't make complex cabinets).  He bent metal.  This was a cottage
industry for him and he was a ham.  Both WA5VGO and I used him for
projects from time to time.  WA5VGO used him to build a bunch of chassis
for his complex double conversion receivers and also for some nice 100
watt type transmitters.  I used him for some Paraset boxes as well as
for my Philmore NT-200 clone projects. Charles was always eager to help
by building the chassis you wanted.  He was not into machined and milled
cabinets.

With so much small lot production done off shore these days,  it seems
most small lot machine shops have gone extinct.  They sure have dried up
around here in Houston, Texas.  I too would like to find a replacement
small company who could generate needed small metal work for single ham
radio projects.  I also have a friend here in Houston who constantly
builds tube HI-Fi Amplifiers and he has a hard time getting chassis
too.  I know he uses someone in Florida, but he needs to buy 50 at a
time of any he wants built. If you try and build an amp, transmitter, or
receiver today containing a few transformers, you may as well forget Bud
or Hammond as the metal is so thin it can't handle the weight unless you
put in a lot of time "beefing" up the thin chassis.  TenTec does a great
job in a big way with nice cabinets  at reasonable prices but there
product line is fixed and their line is mostly cabinets and not chassis.

Anyone out there know of a replacement company for Charles Byers?

It seems like a shop would only need a brake handling up to maybe a finished piece 19 X 14 X 3 X 3/32 or 1/8" Aluminum.
I doubt you'd need complex shapes of thicker material.
A shear of capable of cutting 24 X 1/8"
and a hydraulic punch with dies of various sixes up to larger tube sizes
Precut blanks in quantity are still fairly reasonable. If you know what you need for starting size you typically pay by weight and cuts. It's the set up time that cuts into output and profit. Simple equipment is RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE(that doesn't mean cheap) and fairly quick to set up. With a good break, shear and punch probably totaling around $12,000. The problem is staying reasonable and getting that last 1/32th of an inch. Things can get pricey when going from 3/32 to 1/8" capacity that will handle the harder alloys.

So there's a goal. Any takers?
I'd actually like to do it but at my age...Not practical and I'm getting an LM570 to put up.

However there are still machine shop auctions where this stuff is selling for pennies on the dollar. You may have to do a lot of cleaning bud develop some contacts and hit the right auctions...

I picked up a Bridgeport variable speed mill with head extension and digital readout for around $3 grand a year ago. There has been little market for the 3-phase stuff but the rotary converters can be built relatively cheap. Carl did his a lot cheaper than I did.

Thing is, most of this equipment is bigger than what a hobbyist would want to stick in their garage and it does take some skill and training to operate efficiently and safely.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Lee, w0vt
Houston