Re: [Amps] Experiences shipping a Commander II with the XFMR installed

To: K1TTT <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Experiences shipping a Commander II with the XFMR installed
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 17:58:28 -0400
On 2013-05-25, at 5:40 PM, K1TTT wrote:

> Remove the transformer and the tube(s)... if the construction of that is
> similar to other commander amps the base that the transformer is on is not
> strong enough to handle much shock, or even a long time on it's side.  You
> also want to remove the tube(s) and wrap in bubble wrap or other shock
> absorbing material, instead of boxing separately they can be packed in the
> space for the transformer.

You NEVER want to ship ANY rig with the tubes installed...!

I did that once with a Heath monobander to the USA: a large tube came loose in
transit, & it rolled around wrecking itself & the rest of the tubes in the rig
with it!

And shipping a piece of gear with a heavy power transformer installed inside is
just asking for trouble...

I've had great luck literally stuffing the innards of tube radios with crushed
newspaper prior to mailing: the newsprint keeps everything in place &
intact...and if you use enough of it, even power transformers won't go on a
rampage...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ