Re: [Amps] Tuned Output Network for gs35-b

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned Output Network for gs35-b
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 23:00:18 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Tue, 28 May 2013 07:56:27 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Now that you have the setup, here's the question: "For a given
>frequency, if your circuit tunes with more capacitance (Tune)
>in one position but also tunes in another position with more
>turns on the tank coil but less Cap on the Tune side, what could
> be said about the coil, the, Q and which position for that
> "Given Frequency" would be best to tune at"?

REPLY:

There is an infinite combination of tune C and L for any given frequency.
Basically you are asking "what is the best Q for a tank circuit?".

As with many things, there is no single "best". What works is a Q of between
10 and 15 or so. Lower Q is more efficient and more broadly tuned but has
higher harmonic content. Higher Q is just the reverse.

I would suggest aiming for a Q of about 12 and don't worry if it turns out
to be 11 or 13. The difference is not worth worrying about. Excessively high
Q can be a problem on the higher frequencies because of stray capacitance.
If the Q works out to be no more than about 20 or so, you can choose to just
live with it. More than that and there is a neat trick to get it down
involving a simple L-network. Any ARRL handbook for the last few years will
have details in the amplifiers section.

If you don't have one already, you should a spreadsheet like GM3SEK's to do
the calculations for you. You can google for it.

73, Bill W6WRT