Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 11:49:48 -0600
I realize we're straying rather far afield from amplifier topics, so pse
overlook my wading into the discussion. The proliferation of outboard audio
devices for transceivers, and the desire to mix and match vintage mics and
rigs with modern ones, has caused hum pickup problems to plague many hams. I
discovered this fact to my dismay with my StationPro station controllers.
Most StationPro builders had no problems, but probably five percent reported
audible hum when routing their microphones through the StationPro.
Fortunately, these problems were nearly always easily cured, but the "fix"
usually required the builder to understand the possible origins of hum in
their microphone audio circuits. Hum is not ordinarily, as many suppose,
induced "pickup" from nearby fluorescent lights, transformers or whatever.

I ended up writing a brief tutorial on the subject, which can be found here.
http://www.w8zr.net/stationpro/images/download%20files/Microphone%20Hum.pdf
This will be old hat to most of you, but might be useful those who don't
know what the "pin 1" problem refers to.
73,
Jim W8ZR