[Amps] Solid state amplifier cooling

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Solid state amplifier cooling
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 19:03:28 -0600
As Jim mentioned, multiphase cooling is the way it is done these days in high
power RF tubes. The large Eimac and Thales tubes use it, as do the big MW
klystrons for scientific work. We use this technique in our new amplifiers at
work, but it isn't something that hams should desire, as it requires very pure
low oxygen and low copper in water. It requires that pH and dissolved oxygen be
monitored along with resistivity. The devices that use this technique must be
designed so that the vapor phase re-condenses in the device, in tubes right in
the jacket or 'boiler'. Out of this comes warm water, like a conventional water
cooled tube.

Example from work: a 7835 triode from Burle Industries (RCA) requires 150 GPM
to dissipate 250 kW conventionally. A TH628 Tetrode from Thales requires about
65 GPM for same dissipation, or can operate 1 MW plate dissipation with about
120 GPM. HUGE difference in effectiveness. But not something I would recommend
for kW level of RF and DC power.

73
John
K5PRO