Re: [Amps] Using old amps on WARC query

To: "Larry" <w6nws@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using old amps on WARC query
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:06:30 -0400
The Clipperton L had 2 different chokes, the short fat one that requires the top 3-4 turns removed and also used on the MLA-2500, DTR-2000L and some others. The later is a tall solenoid wound which appears to be purchased from Heath as it is identical to the SB-1000. Also used on the Clipperton QRO. It appears to work OK on WARC's as tested here but I wouldnt push the power beyond 600-700W or so as the bandswitch is now the weak link and the tank circuit values are way off from optimum. Operate in the CW position.

Carl
KM1H

I am no expert on this. I have a Dentron Clipperton-L that I had applied the 10M fix to it years ago. But I fried the parasitic suppressors when working WARC bands. At the suggestion of several on the group I changed the RFC over to an Ameritron RFC and suppressor assembly and that fixed the problems. Apparently the original Dentron RFC was not very effective on the WARC bands. Not sure that applies to the DTR-2000.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Harpole