Re: [Amps] Help constructing filament choke for pair of

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Help constructing filament choke for pair of
From: Paul Baldock <paul@paulbaldock.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:38:20 -0700
At 04:33 AM 7/8/2013, Jim Thomson wrote:

####  why does half the turns  result in one qtr the uh ?   I can see maybe
slightly less than half the original uh..but not a qtr.

Inductance is proportional to aprox no of turns squared with a ferrite core. 1/2 squared is 1/4. If you were to keep the length the same (ie double the wire size) then the N squared factor would be close to perfect.

Did you shift the remaining turns to the center of the rod.....or just leave them
down at one end ?

Usually just down one end. On a recent SB200 mod I actually did not remove any turns for 6M. The coil was already looked rather small and I suspect marginal at 80M although I did not bother to measure the inductance as it worked fine at 6M.

- Paul