Re: [Amps] Dummy load. Can distilled water be used instead of oil ?

To: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy load. Can distilled water be used instead of oil ?
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:29:57 +0200
One problem is that water has a dielectric constant of about 78, as opposed to
around 3 for things like liquid paraffin. The resistors, assuming that you have
thin wall tube, will be in a transmission line of about 66 ohms. This will drop
by the square root of the dielectric constant, so each resistor will be in a
transmission line of around 7.5 ohms. I figure that by the time you get to
28MHz, you're going to see a noticeable SWR and even more so at 50MHz.

I once had a 50 ohm resistor in a suitable copper tube to make 50 ohms, but
discovered that water screwed it up at the top of the HF range.
In my apprentice days, we had water cooled 50 watt resistors as loads for 30kW
HF transmitters, but the dimensions of the container were adjusted to get the
SWR down. Quite a few gallons per minute were used, but at 30kW PEP, it took
less than 5 seconds  to burn the resistor if the water flow failed.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Aug 11 2013, 03:40 PM