Re: [Amps] AL-82 No output on 160m. Resolution

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-82 No output on 160m. Resolution
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:53:55 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 00:21:39 GMT, K6XX wrote:

>Thanks to all that responded with assistance ideas for the AL-82 no-output on
>160m. I had concentrated on the burned plate choke and the load padder wire
>that fell off when touched. Neither lead to the cause. A stray piece of
>plastic in the bottom of the RF section pointed to one of the doorknob
>capacitors. Hey! There are two doorknobs switched into the Plate as padders
>only on 160m!   One of them is cracked and pieces are missing.
>
>Replacing the cracked doorknob immediately restored 160m operation.
>
>C U on the air.
>
>73 de Bob, K6XX

REPLY:

Glad you got it working Bob, but in case the doorknobs ever fail again, you
might consider replacing them with some of the Russian doorknobs available
on eBay. I have used dozens of them in my homebrew amps and like most
Russian equipment, they are built like a tank. Nothing subtle about Russian
stuff - it is made to last. FWIW.

73, Bill W6WRT