Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Future of RF AMPS
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:35:53 -0400
On 9/10/2013 11:13 PM, Leigh Turner wrote:

Larry, the RF power MOSFETS to which I refer here are the VRF2933 devices
from Microsemi. Sometimes one can find surplus and NOS ST Micro SD2933 FETS
on eBay at low prices.

I've worked with semiconductors, since we've had semiconductor and in the industry until 87. However, I have zilch for high power SS except for repairing a few.

Looking at these devices, I'd expect to use 8 for a saturated output of 2400 watts, so I could back off along with a bit of negative feed back for a clean 1500 to 2000 watts all day long.

I know this would make the splitters and combiners more complicated, but that's about the extent of my knowledge, whether right or wrong.

I have so many projects going right now, I just hope to get the LM470 up along with the antennas that go on it and the 100' 45G before cold weather sets in.

73

Roger (K8RI)

4 of these rugged 300 Watt rated devices in parallel/push-pull will yield a
saturated output power of well over 1200 Watts.  Six will comfortably yield
over the US legal limit.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT