Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:58:39 -0700
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:49:44 -0400
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
<lists@subich.com>, <amps@contesting.com>

By using the Exalted AM method that goes back 70 years you dont need a fancy
radio.

Modify the BFO for variable injection level and connect to the last IF
thereby maintaining AGC. Its almost as good as a sync detector for selective
fading and its easier to follow a slightly drifting carrier.

Carl
KM1H

##  There is this huge group here on the west coast that does this AM gig..
every wed night  on 80M.   Loads of boat anchor AM ham gear + converted
and modified  commercial 550-1600  1-5 kw gear.   NOBODY is on freq
ever.  Everybody is off a bit up or down...and some will  drift 50-100 hz
during
their turn to talk.  Now this is just trying to zeo beat em, with xcvr on
SSB..with
a 6 khz wide filter...and rock solid  and calibrated TCXO.

##  I have used the synchronous AM detector  in my MK-V..and it works superb
on AM signals.   For once, I can hear the full 9700 hz wide audio  across the
550-1600 band at night.   Funny thing is, just about any AM radio in any vehicle
only results in at most maybe 6-7 khz at the top end.   Same deal with most
high end
audiophool gear.

## 6 khz wide ESSB,  3khz wide DSB AM with cxr,  3 khz wide DSB, suppressed cxr,
who cares, in each case they all eat up 6 khz of RF BW.   Its all good fun and
the bands are dead
anyway.   Now if you want to use 6 khz wide audio on AM.... you eat up 12 khz
of RF BW.

##  6 khz wide ESSB eats up 1/2 the BW.   Wideband SSB is a bit of a trick on
RX..esp
if a lot of low freq content is used.     You cant be more than just a few hz
off the other guys freq,
or it all goes to hell..fast.   Hence the use of a min of a  .5 ppm  TCXOs....
that have been calibrated dead on
at least 15 mhz wwv... and pref  20 mhz wwv.   A .25 ppm  TCXO..also
calibrated..is even better.

##  ESSB ops don’t tune each other in....they know the other guy is gonna be on
an even freq to begin
with.... like  3820...... or 3825.... or  3820.6     etc.

##  The vfo display on any MK-V   will display in .625 hz increments...aka
5/8 hz.

##  any of the above modes, AM,  DSB,  etc all sound a helluva lot better than
the pinched off
300-2700 crap that has been stuffed down our throats..and doesn’t work anyway.
You can
laff.... but I havent used  phonetics since 2001.   No need to once the top end
gets up to 3950 hz.

later........... Jim  VE7RF