Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] S/S Amp's
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 02:12:17 -0400
On 9/12/2013 9:49 PM, Carl wrote:
By using the Exalted AM method that goes back 70 years you dont need a
fancy radio.

Modify the BFO for variable injection level and connect to the last IF
thereby maintaining AGC. Its almost as good as a sync detector for
selective fading and its easier to follow a slightly drifting carrier.

My first transmitter after earning the General was a Ranger used with an old S-40B. I'd zero beat an SSB conversation and use PPT In time with my sentences. I talked with the one group for about a week before someone mentioned I had a bit of carrier on my signal. No one ever complained about bandwidth or the "unwanted".

When I explained I was running a Ranger on AM with a fast PPT thumb, there was a lot of laughter. I was copying SSB using the BFO on the old S-40B to inject a carrier at the receiver.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Carl
KM1H