[Amps] Workshop Danger

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Workshop Danger
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 06:24:16 -0600
My least favorite part of homebrewing an amplifier is making the meter
cutouts and tube socket holes. Last evening I cut three 2.90 holes for
GU-74Bs and survived the experience. I have a set of hole saws, but not
metric ones for Russian tubes, and therefore had to use a fly-cutter. IMHO,
fly-cutters are the most dangerous tool in a workshop. I hate the things. I
securely clamped the sheet aluminum stockl to the bed of a large
(floor-mounted) drill press, set the drill press on its slowest speed, and
used aluminum cutting fluid. One has to advance the fly-cutter VERY slowly
to prevent the cutting tool from grabbing the aluminum. If that happens, the
sheet aluminum is likely to go flying around in a big circle like a sythe.
The other danger is absent-mindedness, which can lead the drill press
operator to reach in with his fingers to remove a piece of aluminum debris.
Fly-cutters should never be used with a hand drill, as I stupidly tried once
as a teen-ager. They absolutely require a large floor-mounted drill press
with a sizeable bed.

73,

Jim Garland W8ZR