Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger
From: ZL2AAA <zl2aaa@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:48:22 +1200

OTOH the lowly drill press is really danger in disguise. When drilling steel or Aluminum that long curl of metal that indicates a sharp bit doing its job will happily remove a finger(s) just by trying to knock it out of the way.

In a engineering shop I worked in we had to drill 2" holes in 3/4 steel in an old Asquith ground mounted drill press this thing had a vertical column about 18" dia.and a snail could move faster than the drill. I saw the apprentice trying to pull the swath out with his hand and told him of the danger in no uncertain terms.The next day he told me he had mentioned my rarkup to his father and he said I was just an idiot. About three days later after being out on a job my mate and I returned to the workshop about 1500 to find the place all shut up.We thought the other workers must have gone to the pub for free drinks without inviting us.Off to the pub, yes they were there but it was a very sombre place. The apprentice had tried to break of the swath with his hand and it caught the sleeve of his overalls and wound him up and kept bashing him against the vertical column,by the time someone had turned the drill off he was blue in the face lucky to be alive and never worked again.Morrie