Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate modulation from power supply ripple?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 02:11:13 -0700
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 08:26:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: TexasRF@aol.com
To: ww1c@outlook.com, garyschafer@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com

My current interest is mainly in microwave eme operation. Traveling wave
tubes are used to generate power. The homebrew power supplies have a lot of
filter C in the helix supply to reduce hum on the transmitted signal. After
this  discussion I am wondering if there may be more C than necessary.
Normally it  would not matter but if there is a flashover in the twt the helix
structure  could be damaged. There are trip circuits to shut the power supply
down but most  of the stored energy would be dissipated in the helix.

73,
Gerald K5GW

##  How much B+   ??    How much plate current ??  Just put a 50 ohm glitch R
in series with the  B+.... and wire a fast hv fuse just in front of the 50 ohm
glitch.
Anything arcs, the glitch limits the fault current to a safer value.   The HV
fuse interupts
the fault current..and  will easily do that in less than 2 msecs.   But you
have to size the
fusing wire correctly.    Add the glitch +  HV fuse on top of your existing
protection.

Jim  VE7RF